Welcome

Sunday, April 18, 2010

ScottsBoro Boys: Blows My Mind

This is the first in series of reflections and reviews I plan to write on black theatre, dance, poetry, artistry, and film. Feeling unqualified, I resisted the urge to write anything in this regard but am now inspired based on the encouragement and urging of a friend who has been after me to take a stab at blogging my thoughts in the hope that more folks would come out and support these amanzing yet largely unknown works. You should be warned: I am neither a professional critic nor a conniseur of the performing arts-- but have been acccused of being an aficionado. I prefer the term "whisperer", however, because of my inexplicably profound connection with the Arts--a connection that has healed and fulfilled me in the deep, private place and expanded me in ways I had never imagined. Moreover, I have witnessed masterful works, emanating from African American peforming arts circles, come and go quietly--too quietly and unnoticed. Hence the need, I suppose, for a black Art & Entertainment Whisperer (LOL).

______________________________________
Last night at the Vineyard Theatre in New York, I saw the final performance of a provocative and cutting edge play, the ScottsBoro Boys-- the tragic true story of nine black men falsely accused and imprisoned for the alleged rape of two white women in Alabama in the 1930's.

I was immediately drawn into the complex weave of this hauntingly beautiful and evocative work of genius --that seamlessly blended song, dance, humor and minstrelcy to deliver a theatrical "sucker punch" to the unsuspecting. And what a punch it packed! LOL

The first time around I just had to get out of the theater right after the show -my adrenalin was running too high. I was ripped up about what had happened to those nine men and kinda freaked out by the life -sized Scottsboro Boys newspaper poster I had ignored in the lobby on my way in.

This musical challenged me to hold two opposing emotional states at once. Imagine actually clapping after lynching, jailing, and electric chair scenes. Not that I approved--but the sheer brillance of the director and impeccable delivery by the performers (which was off da hook) demanded acknowledgement. A surreal experience to say the least--kinda like drinking a nasty cough syrup flavored with cherry aftertaste that strangely makes you want more.

The ScottsBoro Boys' intoxicating brew of black history, human suffering, blatant racism, unwavering courage, black masculinity, and artistic senstivity was indeed addicting. I saw it nine times. African Americans-- particularly black men will resonate with many of the underlying themes. I was reminded of all the times in my own life where I wore a mask, felt shackeled, or unfairly treated. Equally disturbing was the revelation that I have been disconnected from my history. I knew so little of the ScottsBoro Boys until this musical performance.

The individual performances in this play were spellbinding. These performers were the show! Colman Domingo (Passing Strange, Boy & His Soul) was just bananas--what amazing acting skill and range! Colman has a unique way of looking into right into the soul of an audience. He is a master of the craft. Brandon Victor Dixon (The Color Purple) was equally riveting and engaging --he just seemed to channel Haywood Patterson.

Brandon's tears in this last performance sealed my impression that he is "the truth" --and headed for greatness if given more opportunities to shine. In fact, several of the actors dried their tears as they receieved a resounding final standing ovation from the largely white audience. (I couldn't help but wonder where was the black viewership--I never saw more than five black people in the audience at any of the shows).

Realizing that this was a final show, I asked myself what happens to these highly talented black male actors now. Where do these "ScottsBoro boys" go from here?

Rumor has it that they will be going to Broadway. I wonder about how long it will last. Like Passing Strange this is a hard hitting, thought provoking, probing musical that doesn't rely on the sing along, "happy ending" that typifies so many Broadway plays. Nonetheless, it absolutely deserves to be on Broadway.

My only regret was that I couldn't stick around to tell the cast how fantatstic they were and how blessed I was by the performance. (Had to jet to W. 46 st, The St. Lukes Theatre, to check out another play, Black Angels Over Tuskegee. )

I hope in future bloggings to bring you profiles and direct "whisperer interviews" with some of the artists and producers of these amazing works. Wish me luck!

The BAE Whisperer gives the ScottsBoro Boys a 10/10. Worth every second. Worth every penny! Kudos to the Vineyard Theatre for hosting such a powerful production.

No comments:

Post a Comment